The Loren and Opal Raines Colloquium Series
The Raines Colloquium honors the significant contributions of Emeritus Professor Max Raines to the department, the college, the university, and the field of student affairs in higher education.
Dr. Raines, a faculty member in the Department of Educational Administration from 1965 -1993, and his wife Tomie established the Colloquium in 1993 in memory of his parents, Loren and Opal Raines.
The purpose of the Raines Colloquium is to foster intellectual, professional and personal growth and collegiality among the students, faculty, and alumni of the Department of Educational Administration, College of Education at Michigan State University.
A national leader in the field of student affairs, Dr. Raines was also a critical figure in creating a strong academic and professional foundation for MSU's nationally recognized programs in student affairs, adult education, and higher education. The Raines Colloquium hosts distinguished scholars and practitioners within student affairs, adult education, and higher education for a series of lectures and discussions with students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Spring 2017 Raines Colloquium
Autism in College: Creating a Spectrum of Opportunity
Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 1:30pm
252 Erickson Hall
Featuring: Dr. Edlyn Peña, Associate Professor, California Lutheran University
Past Raines Colloquium Speakers
- Lori Patton Davis - Fall 2016
- Rev. Jaime Washington - Spring 2016
- Jeffrey C. Sun - Fall 2015
- Jeffrey Milem - Spring 2015
- Cynthia Love - Fall 2014
- Patricia Green-Powell - Spring 2014
- Kathleen Manning - Fall 2013
- Frank Harris, III - Spring 2013
- Gavin Henning - Fall 2012
- Kenneth Elmore - Spring 2012
- George Kuh - Fall 2011
- Connie Tingson-Gatuz - Spring 2011
- Tim Pierson - Spring 2010
- Anna Ortiz. - Fall 2009
- C. Carney Strange - Spring 2009
- Rev. Janet Cooper Nelson - Fall 2008
- Beverly Bower - Spring 2008
- Jill Carnaghi - Fall 2007
- Arthur W. Chickering - Spring 2007
- Nancy Evans- Spring 2006
- Susan Jones - Spring 2005
- William Sedlacek - Spring 2004
- Susan Komives - Spring 2003
- Phillip Altbach - Spring 2002
- anthony antonio - Spring 2001
- Sylvia Hurtado - Fall 1999
- Johnetta Cross Brazzell - Fall 1999
- Patricia M. King - Spring 1999
- Marcia Baxter Magolda - Spring 1998
- Sherry Turkle - Fall 1996
- William H. Maehl - Spring 1996
- Terry Deal - Fall 1993
Fall 2016 Raines Colloquium: "Why Bother with Theory? A Critique on Promises and Challenges of Student Development Theory in Student Affairs Practice"
Featuring Dr. Lori Patton Davis
Spring 2016 Raines Colloquium: "Preparing the Next Generation of Leaders: From Awareness-Action"
Featuring Rev. Dr. Jamie Washington
Fall 2015 Raines Colloquium: "An Accessible Approach to Understanding Title IX: Translating Research & Law Into Practice"
Featuring Jeffrey C. Sun, J.D., Ph.D.